Thursday, May 30, 2013

London

We are back in London for our last 2 days then we will be on our way home. We are all ready to leave on Saturday, we are starting to get worn out. We arrived at our hotel this morning and we were so glad that it was the last time we would be dragging our suitcases on and off the train. They are getting so heavy.
Yesterday-I didn't blog yesterday because we got in too late from Salisbury. When we left Bath in the morning it was just a little cloudy with some sunshine but the day ended up cold and rainy. We went to the Cathedral which of course was beautiful. It also had a copy of the Magna Carta (the british version of the Declaration of Independance) that dates from the early 1200's. Debbi and Allen also talked me into doing the Tower Tour. I told them I hated them by the first balcony. There were a little over 300 steps but that's not what bothered me. It was the heights that got to me. The balcony overlooking the Nave, the narrow stone steps with only a rope to hold on to, the open wooden spiral stair. When we got to the second one in the bell tower I couldn't go any further. I sat and waited for them and then we had to go back down. I almost kissed the ground when we were done. After the cathedral we got a taxi to Stonehenge. It's about 15 miles outside the town and what surprised us so much is that your driving out into the country and all of a sudden it's just there at the side of the road and there's only a 4 foot fence around it. We had to wait for about an hour before we could do the inner circle tour we had booked, so Allen and Debbi walked around the stones while Mom and I tried to stay dry. After the site had closed we were able to go in with security guard. It was surreal and awesome at the same time. It was one of the coolest things we have done this whole trip, to stand there in the middle of the stones that are so iconic of early Britain. Visiting the Cathedral and Castles have been amazing but Stonehenge was started in 2600bc. After a half hour of wondering through the stones in the rain and with the humming pagon priestess' we caught a train back to Bath.
   Today-after dropping our bags off, we went into London and rode the Tube to Nottinghill. We had fun trying to figure out which line to take and how to buy tickets. We walked Portabello Road, poking in and out of antique shops and tacky souvenir shops. We found the bookstore that is used in the movie Nottinghill.
Chalk horse, very old


1 comment:

  1. Wow Terri! I would have hated them too!!! LOL I don't do heights and I don't do high steps with only a rope handle!! I'm pretty sure you got farther than I would have!!! Wow Stonehenge huh?!! That is so totally cool!! I am loving the picture of the chalk horse. Is it made out of chalk??? It's an amazing picture for sure and it must be huge to see it from so far away! Have a wonderful trip back home, I think you guys will need a vacation from vacation!

    ReplyDelete