Saturday, May 25, 2013

Train to Bath

Today was a travel day, we left Edinburgh at 9 and it was 7 hours to Bath. We were starving when we finally got to Bath because the weekend trains don't serve meals and we hadn't eaten breakfast this morning. My research was wrong before the trip, so I had to admit to the rest of my crew that their tour guide had dropped the ball. We were able to buy boxed sandwiches which Debbi, Mom and I ate. Allen ate candy that he had bought somewhere along the way and dried fruit he had brought from the states. He hasn't bought anything unlike the rest of us but he has eaten his way across England. He's enjoyed most of the food & beer and the fudge. While he was eating fudge, we were digging through our bags to see what we had squirreled away in them. I found salt & pepper cashews (yum) and Debbie found ginger cookies from Starbucks. So we were good. The rest of the trip was watching the scenery pass by. It is green, rolling hills as far as you can see, farms separated by hedges and trees and winding lanes. As I was watching them pass by, I felt like I was in another time and place. I was certain that I caught a glimpse of Frodo, his faithful servant Samwise, Merry and Pippin tramping across the fields on their way towards adventure. Sorry, couldn't help myself, after all we are in J.R.R. Tolkien territory:). And Shakespeare, Jane Austin, Dickens and all the rest. And when your in a country that has villages with names like Bourton-On-The-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, Darlington (my favorite), you can be forgiven.
We arrived in Bath, hungry and tired. Now we are doing laundry with one of those European washer/dryer combos and it has taken 4 hours for 1 load.
Another taxi ride 

Waiting to board our train to Bath

1 comment:

  1. Those trains are so modern and sleek! I bet they are fun to ride! Not good to be hungry so I hope you got some food! lol I am loving your imagination Terri, so you are forgiven!! lol I can envision everything when you tell it, so thanks for that!! You are an awesome blogger for this trip my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete